Wednesday, November 5, 2008

True story

OK so I work in Hollywood... I hesitate to admit that becasue I prefer to stay anonymous here on this blog because... well, because I work in Hollywood.

But this is a story too juicy not to spill. So I'm in a meeting yesterday to discuss putting an animated movie together. There were 6 of us in the meeting. And of course, since 5 of the 6 of us were voting for Obama, and because it was election day, the meeting began with 15 minutes of...

"Oh my god, I think McCain sucks! do you think he sucks?"
"Oh yeah, he TOTALLY sucks!"
"How much does he suck!?"
"Like, a lot!"

Then someone said, more or less out of context, "The rich just keep getting richer."

And two other people in the room simultaneously responded "Well hopefully not anymore, after tonight."

So there we are, about to start this meeting for real... that last line just hanging there in the air, like the smell after someone burns toast. Seconds later, we start into our actual agenda, the topic of which, was... "this movie is too expensive, we have to figure out a way to bring the budget down."

Now... remember that burnt toast smell? It's still there... impossible to ignore or forget. And yet one of the people in the room, with absolutely NO sense of irony, actually said...

"Well we can just do it in Asia... their animation houses are like sweat shops... it's super cheap."

I swear to GOD this actually happened.

No comments: