Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Agree With Barack Obama!?

While I disagree with Barack Obama on just about every issue (taxes, Iraq war, health care, etc) and I did not vote for him (I went Libertarian this year), I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and taking him at his word to let him earn my faith in him as a leader. And he has now provided me with one issue where we do agree.

We both favor a playoff system for college football.

"If you've got a bunch of teams who play throughout the season, and many of them have one loss or two losses, there's no clear decisive winner," told "60 Minutes." "We should be creating a playoff system."

Now that's hope and change that I can believe in!

6 comments:

George M.F. Washington said...

I'm a plus one guy, m'self.

Hylton said...

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It would essentially turn into the NFL where the regular season matters, but nobody starts talking about playoffs till the last few weeks of the season. With the BCS, people are talking "playoffs" from week 3, which for me is more exciting. By the way, look at the rankings right now. Would an 8 team playoff fix things? You'd still have at least 1 undefeated team left out of the mix.

George M.F. Washington said...

I agree Hylton, That's why I like a plus one situation cuz it would only exist to settle those situations where it could be two of tthree of four teams... cuz let's face it, there's never been a #5 team that anyone thought should have been in the championship game.

Thomas M.F. Jefferson said...

Yes, the season is exciting week after week but part of the reason I favor a playoff is that the current system doesn't really allow for improvement during the season. It also penalizes teams based on when they lose (lose early and you're probably okay but lose late and you're pretty much toast).

George M.F. Washington said...

But Tom, what about your own complaint about the risk of two teams meeting in the playoffs after already playing in the regular season... doesn't that put an unfair burden on the winner of the first game to have to beat the other team twice to advance, while the loser only has to win one when it counts?

Thomas M.F. Jefferson said...

I think I'd be willing to live with possibility of two teams meeting in the playoffs that have already played each other earlier in the season, for the other benefits that go along with having a playoff system.