Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A simple majority is not really all that simple after all

Sitting here in a colleague's office looking out the window at one of the sections of my city that is most densely populated with skyscrapers... imagining the thousands of people milling about in those buildings and the thousands more on the sidewalks below either walking into, out of, or around them...

And beyond those skyscrapers I can see neighborhoods densely populated with houses, filled with families waking to start their days. I can also see, in my mind, my wife's parents' neighborhood in a midwestern state where once you get past the six or so houses you can see from the front porch, it's a mile or so to the next house. And my family's homes in a southern state where there's a boat in every driveway and a gun in every car... for no other reason than it's a tool like any other...

Finally returning to my own downtown urban neighborhood, century-old wooden craftsman homes set off against decaying apartment units populated mostly by immigrants, in a gentrifying ghetto that's still more "Ghetto" then "Gent"...

...now imagining these scenes replicated hundreds, maybe thousands, of times, across millions of square miles of America...

And it occurs to me, that convincing a majority of all those people to vote for you to be their President, is a really hard job.

No comments: