Friday, November 7, 2008

O.P.P.: Other People's Priorities

Not to turn this into the Prop 8 blog, but in response to George's post, I think the protest was focused at Mormons because the Church of LDS (and its members) have been viewed as main proponents and funding source behind the initiative.

To wit, check out this bewildering article about run-of-the-mill Mormon families that gave serious cash to the effort.

People like this fascinate me. Why would someone send such time, effort and treasure on something that doesn't directly affect their lives?

I'll never understand that impulse. Then again, I have no interest in telling other people how to live their lives.

1 comment:

George M.F. Washington said...

Yeah I get that, but I prefer practicality to symoblism and I'm not a huge fan of wasted effort. No one is ever going to change the Mormons' minds on this, and at the end of the day they are a population too small to make a difference. If you want to have a real affect on gay rights in California, focus your efforts on thos who voted yes but who are also open to having their minds changed.

I'd start with African-Americans who, as I pointed out elsewhere, voted yes in huge numbers.