Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Secretary of Defense: Peaceniks Need Not Apply

The anti-war left is at it again. It's not enough that their man, Barack Obama, won the election. They want a say in who he selects as his Secretary of Defense also.

And who do they want? You can read the whole thing here. But here's an excerpt.

"Arms control advocates and anti-war activists are ratcheting up pressure on President-elect Barack Obama to dump Defense Secretary Robert Gates and replace him with a more strident anti-war voice."

So they want an anti-war voice to be Secretary of Defense. Boy do I think that is misguided and I'll tell you why. The Secretary of Defense is supposed to be looking out for America and keep her safe. That means that they have to be thinking about war and how to conduct it, even if it is only hypothetical. I want my Secretary of Defense to always be thinking about what would happen if we had to fight a particular war against a particular enemy. I want my Secretary of Defense to be thinking about aging nuclear warheads and what can be done to repair them. I want my Secretary of Defense to have a vast knowledge of history and conflicts and battle tactics. I want my Secretary of Defense to always be thinking about how to make the military more effective.

What I do not want is for my Secretary of Defense to be some peace loving, anti-war, let's all hug it out person who is afraid to go to war. I want my Secretary of Defense prepared to go to war, yet I hope we never have to call on him to actually go. And since Robert Gates has been brought on to be Secretary of Defense, the war in Iraq has turned around. I think it would be foolish to turn him loose now. In fact, it would say a lot to me about Barack Obama's judgement if he kept him around, at least for the next year or so.

As for those peace loving, anti-war, let's all hug it out people, send them to the State Department. They can mend fences overseas with countries that allegedly hate us.

No comments: