Thursday, November 6, 2008

Prop 8 protests

I wonder why the opponents of Prop 8 are protesting outside the Mormom Temple in Los Angeles today? Shouldn't they be in Downtown L.A. protesting outside the First AME? I mean Black voters went 70-30 in favor of the prop. It's quite likely that if not for the huge black turnout for Barack Obama, Prop 8 would not have passed.

I think their rage is directed at the wrong target.

But hey, at least it's directed at the politically correct target.

For the record, I voted "no."

UPDATE: Here's more, complete with actual math, which I didn't do because I suck at it.

UPDATE 2: yikes! Now THAT'S change we can believe in!

6 comments:

Hylton said...

So, the AA turnout definitely swung things more in favor of the YES side, but it certainly didn't swing the YES win.

AAs were 10% of the total vote and they split 70/30 (yes/no). That makes the AA vote responsible for a spread of 4% on a vote that was won by 4 points. Even if the Obama draw doubled the AA vote, that would still only be a 2% swing.

George M.F. Washington said...

The point is that the AA vote is as responsible for the passage of Prop 8, if not more, than the Mormon vote. Unless someone can prove to me that significantly more Mormons voted on Tuesday than African-Americans.

The other point is that, politically, I'm guessing AA's have a lot more in common with gay voters in a basic sense than Mormons ever will, so the receptivity to being persuaded is likely to be more acute in the AA community than in the Mormon community... who are probably just going to become more hardened against gay marriage as a result of this protest.

I'm questioning the target, not the protest itself.

George M.F. Washington said...

This site...

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_lds.html

Seems to be telling us that Mormons were 1.79% of the population of the state of California in 1990. If that's true, and even if we assume that in the last 18 years that number has more than doubled to 5%... and African-Americans are 10%, then my original question stands...

Why is this protest targeting Mormons?

George M.F. Washington said...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20081106/us_time/whygaymarriagewasdefeatedincalifornia;_ylt=Avquc2SCw8_UzYBniaUhBQoDW7oF

This article on Yahoo seems to back me up.

Hylton said...

My comment was directed more at the "quite likely" comment more than the misplaced anger.

I wonder how the analysis looks if you add in the hispanic vote, which also saw a big boost.

George M.F. Washington said...

Got it.

It looks like Hispanics voted yes by a majority as well. I added a new article to the original post. Check it out.