Friday, October 9, 2015

Would guns have stopped the Holocaust?

I dunno, but I bet some of the folks who lost family to the Nazi death machine would have loved to see those family members take a couple SS guards with them on their way out.

I see the talking point counter-argument seems to be that a couple of Jews with guns would not have been able to stop the entire Nazi war machine.

Well...

I'm no historian, but I'm pretty sure the Nazis didn't round up all the Jews by sending the Wermacht down the streets of Berlin in Tiger Tanks. Those guys were pretty busy elsewhere... like on the Russian Front. No, they went and kicked in doors in groups of 8 or 10 SS officers. Could a handful of Jews with surprise on their side have inflicted major losses on those first groups of SS who showed on their doorstep? You betcher ass. Ultimately, would it have stopped the Nazis from rounding up all the Jews anyway by advancing on them with larger and more violent units? Probably not... but when your next stop is a boxcar headed for Auschwitz, "probably not" is a lot better than "definitely not"

I side with Ben Carson on this one.

UPDATE: I didn't even get into the difference more and better guns could have made during events like the Warsaw ghetto uprising...

No comments: