Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Chris Christie is right about Social Security

This will probably lose me some fans, so I'm going to ask both of you to please remain calm as you read this and hear me out...

Christie is proposing that we means test folks making a certain amount of post-retirement income out of Social Security payments. I think he's right.

But, but George, I paid into the system all my life, it's my money, I should get it back... WITH INTEREST!!!  Yes, I agree, in theory. Look, if it were up to me I would abolish the entire system as theft to begin with. But the system is the system, so we're stuck with it for now.

Know what else we'ere stuck with? 19 trillion dollars in debt. I don't think we can ever pay that back, but what we definitely can't do is continue to make that number bigger, forever and ever.

We just can't. It will literally destroy the nation eventually. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not next year, but someday.

And the only way we can stop that number from growing is to cut. Cut as much as we can. Cut EVERYTHING... if we can.

There can't be any sacred cows.  Everything has to be cut, across the board... yes, your pet project too. I don't care what it is.

Yes, that too... everything.

We either do this voluntarily, right now, or reality will do it for us eventually... and it won't ask for permission first. And while we might be able to get away with just a 5% cut across the board today, reality may impose a 10%, or 20%, or 50% cut ten years from now.

So we can play the "not in my backyard" game if we want. We can bitch and complain and argue that this or that ONE THING can never be cut. But there's a big reality check waiting for us just over the horizon. And we'd better do something about it right now, before it swamps us all.

Christie's idea is a good first step.

No comments: