Thursday, October 30, 2008

Live In Obamavision

I actually watched a little bit of Obama's World Series-delaying infomercial last night, that took over a half-hour on the airwaves of three of the four major networks last night (plus Univision, I think).

It was very well done, set a moderate, respectful tone, and answered some of the criticisms of Obama in reasonable ways. (I have serious doubts over whether the actual policies of the administration will square with these responses, but that's another post).

Anyway, a big part of the spot was profiling middle class families struggling with various economic issues, from different parts of the country. People like you and me.

You know what? I felt sympathy for the issues that these people were going through, and a desire to see those problems alleviated.

You know what I didn't feel? The desire to look into their backgrounds to see if their "story" was presented with 100 percent accuracy, or if they had any nasty incidents in their past, like domestic violence episodes or unpaid parking tickets.

Guess I'm strange.

5 comments:

George M.F. Washington said...

Tom and I were laughing last night at the idea of how much cooler Obama's informercial would have been if it had been hosted by Billy Mays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mays

Thomas M.F. Jefferson said...

If you buy my economic plan for the future, I'll even throw in a dysfunctional Congress for no charge (except it will cost you 1 trillion dollars over the next 4 years).

George M.F. Washington said...

"You'll get this fully loaded trailer full of prime USDA certified horseshit with your vote... but only if you call now!"

Tinymogul said...

I was really sad for the mom was having to ration the snackfoods. We need to have goverment subsidies so everyone can afford twinkies.

Thomas M.F. Jefferson said...

And while we offer government subsidies so that people can afford twinkies, let's throw a subsidy to the schools for physical ed classes so the kids can work off the twinkies. After all, the government gives subsidies to tobacco farmers and also funds anti-smoking campaigns. Sounds about right to me.