Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Billion Dollar Presidency

Putting aside previously discussed concerns about how he got the money, I think it's worth thinking about Obama's fundraising from a macro perspective. And by that I mean: SIX HUNDRED MILLION EFFING DOLLARS.

That's how much it takes, apparently, to win the Presidency in 2008.

Can there be any doubt that in 2012, or possibly 2016, that a campaign will raise and spend a billion dollars?

There are so many things wrong about that, I can't even get started on the list.

2 comments:

George M.F. Washington said...

There's still time... since he raised 150 million last month he could easily roll into the election having spent three quarters of a BILLION dollars. That's just insane.

Thomas M.F. Jefferson said...

Personally, I don't care if he wants to spend all that money but I do care that he's not transparent about it. The people should know who's buying the presidency. Incidentally, he gets to keep all the money that the campaign doesn't spend. Somehow, I don't think he'll be giving refunds for any unused money after the election.