Thursday, December 4, 2008

Another dubious campaign promise, wisely jettisoned

I usually let a post cook in my head for a few days before I actually commit it to the Congress' board, and for the last few days I've been developing some thoughts on the "windfall profits tax" that both Obama and Hillary were so enamored of back in the halcyon days of 130 dollar oil.

Specifically, I thought it amusing that while certain politicians back then were demanding that certain American companies turn over excess profits to the government as, oh I don't know, punishment for providing a quality product that Amercians really wanted to buy, I guess... none of them are now willing to make the opposite argument that since those profits have evaporated, perhaps these companies are entitled to some kind of relief from their tax burden as compensation for hard times suffered.

After all how can it be that one action is fair and necessary, while the opposite action is not.

Well Obama isn't exactly saying that the oil companies deserve tax relief to make up for all the profits they're not making right now, but he is willing to forgoe the "windfall profits tax" for now... which isn't exactly a courageous position now that there are now windfall profits to tax, now is it? But I guess when it comes to The Great Redistributor", we're going to have to take our victories where we can get them.

4 comments:

Alexander M.F. Hamilton said...

I was waiting for this post.

George M.F. Washington said...

Yeah like I said, I hadn;t totally finished developing the post in my head but then Obama went and announced he would hold off on the windfall profist tax and I figured it was either now or never.

Thomas M.F. Jefferson said...

The next campaign promise I am waiting to see jettisoned is the immediate closure of Guantanamo Bay. He'll start getting those security briefings on a daily basis and have a small change of heart. I still think he'll announce his intention to close it, but in something like two years in order to give himself wiggle room to figure out what to do with the hard core jihadists still down there.

George M.F. Washington said...

It occurs to me that this is the first time we've ever seen a candidate run as a Leftist and then sprint to the right upon being elected.

Interesting.