Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Compassion is not a suicide pact

Hey guys, did you hear? We have a ROBUST system for vetting Syrian Refugees to make sure none of them pose a terrorism threat to the United States... yep, we sure do, our Attorney General just said so. Apparently it consists of interviews and, well... interviews I guess.

Refugee Vetter: Are you a terrorist?
Refugee: ... no?...
Refugee Vetter: Are you sure?
Refugee: ... yes?...
Refugee Vetter: Right, off you go then!

I'd like for someone to please tell me which Government Agency has detailed dossiers on all military-aged males from every random backwater village in Turkey and Syria?  Is it the same agency that "fully vetted" the Tsarnaev Brothers!?  Is it the same agency that sent a fully approved Visa to the Post Office Box of Mohammed Atta six months AFTER he led the 9/11 attacks!?

Seriously, when Achmed shows up claiming to be a peaceful family man and Rotary Club Member from Asscrack, Syria, how can we know if he's telling the truth? Who do you call to verify literally ANYTHING he tells you? The level of trust in Government I see on my social media feeds with regard to this Administration's ability to perform this incredibly dangerous task successfully is completely misplaced, given that the consequences of failure are so enormous.

Let me ask you this, you don't want the US to get involved in another Middle Eastern War, right? Iraq was a mistake, you say? Getting out of Afghanistan was the right decision? Fine... what do you think we're going to do when five teams of Syrian Terrorists shoot up five different Malls across America on Black Friday?

I'll tell you what we're going to do... we're going to get involved in a really big goddamned war in the Middle East, that's what.

Compassion is important, I don't want to overshadow that. It's what makes us different from ISIS. Even knowing the dangers, a large number of us still want to help these poor Refugees in whatever way we can. That speaks well of us as a people. I know that the vast majority of these people are trying to save themselves and their families from the same kind of brutal violence that terrifies us. I am completely sympathetic to that, and I'd be doing the same thing if I were them.

But wanting taking a brief pause to make sure we're not importing the same kind of horror that France and Germany have already imported to their countries does not make me an awful person, despite what Vox and Salon may think.

Compassion is not a suicide pact.

UPDATE: As I said

No comments: