Monday, November 30, 2015

A free market solution to the Campus PC scourge

Some people look at a problem like the rise of totalitarian Political Correctness on college campuses and beg for a Government solution... I, on the other hand, see free market opportunity.

It's only a matter of time before some enterprising University begins to market itself as an alternative to the big Northeastern Campuses and their stifling attacks on anything that doesn't conform to the current in vogue narrative.

As an a example of what that might look like, take a College like Hillsdale... By marketing itself as a center-Right alternative to the standard Liberal campus, and by reaching out to prominent Conservative radio hosts like Hugh Hewitt and Michael Medved, in a very short time, Hillsdale has transformed itself from a College I had never heard of, to a place I would consider putting on my kids' college wish lists.

There aren't many industries that are more competitive than colleges competing with one another for students willing to shell out 100K for what they're selling, and generally, the Free Market works better than my brain, so chances are that this opportunity is already a topic of conversation in the back rooms of many American Universities... I would look for the revolution to begin in the South, but begin it will and as kids who feel stifled by campus PC begin to make different choices, the market will begin to correct even the worst of the worst... 

Yale I'm looking in your direction.

UPDATE: I think you're going to start seeing a lot more of this. In fact, if I were the President of a University looking to re-brand in this way, I would actively encourage Professors to publicly speak out against PC attacks hoping that some percentage of those rants will go viral.

No comments: