Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Will Obama Ever Take Responsibility For Anything?

Judging from President Obama's presee conference last night, he's never going to assume responsibility for the Federal Budget. This is his response to Chip Reid's question about the federal budget.

"I suspect that some of those Republican critics have a short memory, because, as I recall, I'm inheriting a $1.3 trillion deficit, annual deficit, from them."

The last time I checked, the Democrats have been in control of Congress since January 2007 which means that no budget could have been passed without at least some of them going along with it. Yet no reporter called him on it. For a man who keeps stressing that we need to assume greater responsibility in our lives, he certainly isn't acting like it. This budget just kicks the can down on the road to the next generation of Americans.

I guess Obama will continue to blame Bush for as long as he can, especially since he his new ideas are simply old ideas consisting of higher taxes on the rich and cuts in defense spending.

I also find it disingenuous that President Obama continues to repeat that this budget does not represent the same tired ways that got us into this mess. Well, nobody is proposing a budget like that, not even the Republicans. Say what you want about President Clinton, and I have my quibbles with him, but the man could at least govern and had executive experience and knew that you need bi-partisan legislation on certain aspects. He even had a little humility as well.

I don't think Obama has any humility. I think he just listens really well, so that people feel that they've been heard, and then he goes off and does what he was going to do in the first place. I think his statement during the stimulus bill "negotiations" of "I won so I'm going to trump you on that" is more representative of his viewpoint than all the speeches about how important bi-partisanship is in Washington. I was really hoping Obama would be smarter than this but so far, my worst fear - that all he can do is read a speech off a teleprompter - has been confirmed.

No comments: